Distribuir contenido

Guild structure suggestions and discussion

179 respuestas [Último envío]
Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
se unió: Nov 8 2007

My apologies; I missed that in Szark's post.

Reporters Chair Nominees: Blade, Narym, Kerryth

If anyone wants to change their Reporters Chair vote, feel free to PM a correction to Thend. I will let him know that Kerryth is also officially on that ballot, and again that anyone not already selected for another position can be voted into that spot.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger
se unió: Oct 30 2007

I know i can vote for the reporters position, but what is the other chair I can vote for and who are the nominations?

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Here is the info I sent to Thend (amended with Kerryth to the Reporters Chair nominations). I should have posted it here as well - sorry!

Services Chair
Eligible for the position: Shimmerillion, Lial, Blade Lakem
Elected by the Project heads: Lynnutte, Marten, Shimmerillion, Lial, Blade Lakem

Liason Chair
Eligible for the position: Kerryth, Szark
Elected by the Liasons: Marten, Kerryth, (Crier)_Nanouk/Artic_Wagon, Szark

Membership/Reporters Chair
Eligible for the position: Anyone not in a position already - Narym, Blade Lakem, and Kerryth have been formally nominated as runners
Elected by: Everyone

Edited - to respect Nanouk's wishes that he not be nominated

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
se unió: Mar 1 2008
(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
As previously stated, I would like to have my name removed from the Liaison's eligible nominee list. (or from any other Chair's position :wink:)
Main reason: I am still struggling, just trying to figure out how, you people work. Forums included....
:mrgreen:

Thanks,
Nanouk

This is a good example why I find your forums so confusing. :lol: :lol:

I though that I should have been removed as eligible from the Liaison chair position.

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

You should. Maybe it would have been better to start separate threads for each position for people to nominate there. Since you don't want the position, that leaves only 2 eligible candidates. Since those people can't vote of themselves, their votes cancel each other out. That leaves only Nanouk and Marten to vote. What happens if it's a tie?

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

I am sorry everyone; I feel like I have let you down by missing two different entries in this one discussion thread, one being a nomination, and the other being a withdrawal. I thought that I had carefully read this thread and identified all such comments, but I was obviously careless and skimmed it far too quickly.

If one other person could review this thread and ensure that I have not missed any other changes, I think that would help.

In the event of a tie.... I dunno. Let's worry about that if it happens, and not before. *head hurts a bit*

One last comment... I'm not sure why you feel any less qualified than the rest of us, Nanouk. As you can see, I'm stumbling along too, just doing the best I can. We all make mistakes at times. Perhaps 6 months down the road when we look at these positions again you will have more confidence. I think the important part of these jobs is, quite simply, having our hearts in the right place, and I believe you do.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
se unió: Ene 12 2008
Quote:
I am sorry everyone; I feel like I have let you down

Not at all Marten, in my opinion. But you have made my point for me about Forums, threads and posts. :D :D I miss a lot of posts on MOUL.
Yep you have got it all now.
Szark

Quote:
One last comment... I'm not sure why you feel any less qualified than the rest of us, Nanouk. As you can see, I'm stumbling along too, just doing the best I can. We all make mistakes at times. Perhaps 6 months down the road when we look at these positions again you will have more confidence. I think the important part of these jobs is, quite simply, having our hearts in the right place, and I believe you do

This echos myself and I would have thought nearly everyone here, but I can only speak for myself..

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a
Quote:
I am sorry everyone; I feel like I have let you down

In the immortal words of Kodama " Ah...no."

Quote:
One last comment... I'm not sure why you feel any less qualified than the rest of us, Nanouk. As you can see, I'm stumbling along too, just doing the best I can. We all make mistakes at times. Perhaps 6 months down the road when we look at these positions again you will have more confidence. I think the important part of these jobs is, quite simply, having our hearts in the right place, and I believe you do.

Yeah. What he said!

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Update

Each of the limited-vote chair positions is still waiting on at least one vote to be received. Votes not received before the end of Sunday will not be counted.

Thend will be sending out notices to each person who has voted thus far to indicate that your votes have been received and counted. If you have voted, and do not receive a notice within a day that your vote has been received, you may need to send in your vote again.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

We're on the last day for voting, all. I recommended to Thend that we close polling on Sunday 6pm Pacific, 9pm Eastern. That is Monday 1am UTC/GMT.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

Voting is complete. Results are posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=174

Congratulations to the new Guild Chairs.

Guild Chairs and the GM will have the opportunity to step down in October (6 months), and other Guild members will have the opportunity to volunteer or nominate replacements.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Are we gonna have some sort of chair meeting ro something at some stage?

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
Narym wrote:
Are we gonna have some sort of chair meeting ro something at some stage?

The Chairs are already in a meeting. :wink:

The only problem is that nobody is sitting on them ! :shock: :mrgreen: :P

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

That's a good question. Somewhere around here is a thread about when we're going to have our next meeting. I'll have to dig that up. First item for the guild council: Decide when and where the next Guild meeting will be.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

Carried on over from

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225#p2107

I don't like doing this concidering we have just got two new members, thanks to Nanouk, but it needs to be said in light of Nanouk post, see above link.
This is what I should have done, gone to Lynnutte and put forward my ideas and go from there. Then we would have been on the same page at the same time. I was trying to get translators for just the release info to start with and then ask them if it would be ok to translate the next one. I was intending to PM Lynnutte about once this once this was set up, but with me waiting Lynnutte asked Leonardo about the newsletter. Then Gdabji popped along to offer help to which Nanouk replied with Before Szark jumps in, we are looking for somebody to translate the June Newsletter in french. That is not what I was doing and I had made it clear to all what I was doing. I have contacted all the Mods for the MOUL about translations of just the annoucments, one relpy so far but we have that one covered now. 3 people working around each other. Ok the information is right we need both and we need it posting on as many sites as we can, but we need some controll on who asks who to do what. So from now on if it is anything to do with the newsletter please direct all inquiries to that s person please. I will do the same.

#1 Lynnutte since your the newsletter person, that is correct I hope, do you like my ideas for getting the release info for the GoMe newsletter out there and with what I am doing about it.
If this correct then all the translations for the newsletter and release info should be handled by one person and that person would be responsible for making sure these are done. I am not saying post them all yourself and as Marten said we should spread it around. With the translators posting on their respective forums and sites and the English speakers can take the rest.

#2 It would be nice if we could get the TCT release info translated as well. Which is one thing, as they are a Affiliated and connected directly thorugh Narym, we could and should do. Yours thoughts? This also should be overseen by the newsletter person. But to acullay translate the Archiver itself, well that is a big job, which has been done before I might add.

#3@ Lynnutte and Marten veralun kindly put June newsletter on ftp for us, which is nice, but do you really want me to go and change all the links. If you do then I will do it

As Marten said the Ground work is being done but this does not make me responsible for overseeing it. I am a worker not a leader. The chairs need to take action, fliud action. In this case yes it was my fault and others but mainly me. To many assumptions are being made. Yes normally you come up with an idea and you have to do it yourself or nothing happens. This has to change in order to function. I don't object to be given set tasks to do, on a regular basis, that is why I have done the ground work. Now it is up to us, starting from the Chair and working it's way down and out through the chain to people like me.

I have been trying to juggle all these things and not to ignore peoples replies and PMs and learning at the same time. I don't think I have taken on to much its that some can not understand how things operate and who is resopnsible for what. but the info is there for all to see just not too clear.
I hope I have made things and myself clear for all concered.
Szark

Veralun
Imagen de Veralun
Desconectado/a
se unió: Dic 2 2007

It is good you bring this up Szark.
To discuss these things is very important. The GoMe is a very young Guild and still we can learn from the things which happens.
Please allow me to give some comments on your points:

-1-
It is nice to have ppl who are prepared to translate. And yes this should be coordinated by one person. That does not have to be you. Perhaps someone in the group likes to coordinate this.
Once the translation is done either that person can post the translation or hand it over to the general "Newsposter" which from what I understand are you Szark.
Communication between eachother is a must, so there is no confusion.

-2-
I think it is better to divide those two things.
Posting for the GoMe is something different as posting for an affiliate.
The list we made for posting was from what what I understood mentioned for posting the newsletter and eventual general future news from the GoMe.
Most of the affiliates have their own postingsystem and I think we need to keep that like that.
If you want to make posts and translations for the Archiver you need to see that as a different job.

-3-
I was the person who was not happy with that crappy url for download.
I still do not know exactly what the reason for this is. I must have miss that discussion.
But seen we all put such a lot of work into the Newsletter it deserves a better place than where it was now hosted.
I offered to put this on my server, but the answer I got did not satisfy me.
This all is too important, not only now but also for the future, so it needs to be done in a proper way so that ppl will return.
If we do things we need to do them good.
So therefore I placed the newsletter on my server with the offer to use that url for posting.
So now is there an alternative. Or keep the crappy url or choose for quality.
It is up to you all what to do with this.

You do a very good job Szark. It is good to talk about this.
I am sure this will lead to a fruitfull discussion.

.......................CCN.........................

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

re: Veralun # 3- crappy URL

Checking to see if we are all speaking about the same thing.

1- Is Veralun expecting us to go back to all the sites where the Newspaper link was already posted before his offer to use his server ?

2- Or is Veralun suggesting that we use his server for the "next" Newsletter ?

I see no problem with # 2 and I beleive that Szark is of the same opinion. (to be confirmed)

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Quote:
It is nice to have ppl who are prepared to translate. And yes this should be coordinated by one person. That does not have to be you. Perhaps someone in the group likes to coordinate this.

I thought we had someone.

Quote:
Most of the affiliates have their own posting system and I think we need to keep that like that.
If you want to make posts and translations for the Archiver you need to see that as a different job.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from but I don’t see the difference. We do have a cross over as I work for the TCT, the Archiver in particular. So I will in the future just post the English announcements myself, together with essjay of the TCT.

Quote:
Once the translation is done either that person can post the translation or hand it over to the general "Newsposter" which from what I understand are you Szark.

So with this in mind it is not up to me to write an announcement but only to post it. I am very happy with that. Taking Marten’s advice I have asked the translators (Leonardo and Gbadji) to post it themselves, it made sense.

Quote:
I was the person who was not happy with that crappy url for download.
I still do not know exactly what the reason for this is. I must have miss that discussion.
But seen we all put such a lot of work into the Newsletter it deserves a better place than where it was now hosted.
I offered to put this on my server, but the answer I got did not satisfy me.
This all is too important, not only now but also for the future, so it needs to be done in a proper way so that ppl will return.
If we do things we need to do them good.

Veralun the answer is here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=179&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45#p2011

and posted below for convenience.

Quote:
Quote:
Veralun. We do have a library at

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/library.php

but as Marten said above that's in the quote below.

Quote:
I'm guessing that the Library page hasn't been updated because Shimmer is busy moving stuff; could blutec post the finished newsletter to that download site he was using before, and could we direct people who want the latest copy to get it there, until the Library can be updated?
Quote:
Packing to move to Japan. Filedropper is a stop gap the blutec has kindly provided. NO it is not the best but we had to improvise.
Quote:
So therefore I placed the newsletter on my server with the offer to use that url for posting.
So now is there an alternative. Or keep the crappy url or choose for quality.
It is up to you all what to do with this.

This is good and as I have said I agree but I have been very busy and I haven’t changed all the sites that I posted on. Knowing my luck, no sooner I finish changing the link, we will have it in our library. So you can see I am quiet reluctant for these very reasons. But if we get an answer as to when we will have access to the Library then I might consider it.

Szark

Veralun
Imagen de Veralun
Desconectado/a
se unió: Dic 2 2007
(Crier)_Nanouk wrote:
re: crappy URL

1- Is Veralun expecting us to go back to all the sites where the Newspaper link was posted before his offer to use his server ?

No, but if you think it is worth you can.

Quote:
2- Or is Veralun suggesting that we use his server for the "next" Newsletter ?

No, but if you think it is worth you can.

.......................CCN.........................

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

What I'm going to say next is just my opinion.

It is good to have translated newsletter announcements. It would be even better to have translated newsletters.

But, putting together the newsletters takes a lot of time and effort - it seems to be a 2 to 3 week process, just to make it in one language.

I think it would be fine to grant permission to translators who want to translate our newsletter, but because so much work is involved, I wouldn't ask for translators to do this. I think it is better to let people volunteer on their own initiative when this much work is involved. I do not want any international participants to feel that if they volunteer to translate one thing, that we would expect them to translate everything.

As for who is doing what in this group - I am a little confused right now. I had asked for Nanouk to be an update coordinator. Nanouk passed the job to Szark, and now Szark is doing that job, and both Szark and Nanouk are also recruiting. One update coordinator, and one recruiter, please! It will save toes from being stepped upon.

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a

As it stands it the moment Leonardo and Gdabji have kindly translated the annoucements and I did PM them saying if you have problems get in touch. But yes personally I don't want anybody feeling that they are only wanted for a certain aspect. I am realy thrilled that we have and are getting more international as we speak. This I find will add a richness to this guild. The peolpe we could reach, just by association, but only if we really get organised. Some of these forums have never had an annoucments of some kind.

Quote:
As for who is doing what in this group - I am a little confused right now. I had asked for Nanouk to be an update coordinator. Nanouk passed the job to Szark, and now Szark is doing that job, and both Szark and Nanouk are also recruiting. One update coordinator, and one recruiter, please! It will save toes from being stepped upon.

Update coordinator that person is me Szark. I was volenteered for the job and on some thinking I thought I would give it a go and see how things go.
Recruiting has been done by both Nanouk and I but Nanouk has fared better than I. Everyone should be recruiting where ever and when ever the chance arises, the question should be who is responsible for organising any new recruits, in this case the Newsletter person. You can see where I am going. Chain off command so to speak. Chairs lead or in or case oversee the whole.

Szark

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I'm a little confused about what you mean when you say announcments. As far as the Newsletter chain of command, it starts and ends with me. If anything goes wrong with it, I'm to blame. If anyone has suggestions or comments, please direct them to me. As far as the newsletter getting translated, I just had a thought and need to disuss it with blutec and see what she thinks, but I want everyones opinion as well.
I was thinking, if we send each individual news article to the translators, they could translate them and send them to blutec when they are done. She can get the newsletter looking great (as always) in whichever language she is most comfortable with first, save it, then replace all the articles with the translated ones. That way the all newsletters will look the same and it might save time and work. I'm not sure if this is doable or not. As I said I need to talk to blutec and see what she think.
What does everyone else think about it?

As far as the library is concerned, I have no control over that. If anyone has any questions I have failed to address, please ask me, and have patience with me. I seem to be having problems thinking clearly today.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a

Shorah Lynnutte,

re: translations
Do you remember the days when we were delivering the Newsletter and other matters through KI messages in MOUL ?

There was a problem with keyboards using different language "format" setups and the message would not always look good.

Will blutec be able to fix that problem in the PDF translation ?

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

That I do not know. I have not worked with the program she is using. All questions about format and such will have to be directed to her. It is my hope that it will, but I can't gaurantee anything.

Also, I am posting part of my reply to a pm Szark sent me. I hope it makes sense here. Let me know what y'all think.

Quote:
If you are willing, I would like you to continue letting the forums (any you have posted to so far) know when the newsletter comes out. And your right. We need to nail down the release date for the next newsletter. I wanted this one to be released June 11th, but that didn't happen. I think we should release every newsletter the second saturday of each month. If we start putting the newsletter together at least 1 week before the release date, we should be able to keep on track. I suggest we start submitting news articles to blutec as soon as we find the news story. That way no one is rushed and blutec will not be so pressed for time.

Narym
Desconectado/a
se unió: Nov 20 2007

Blutec uses Microsoft Publisher. The translators would almost certainly need to have this software in order to 'translate', because they won't be able to work from pdf form, or at least, not easily ;) But if they have that, they should be able to prevent any problems arising from different keyboard setups.

Also, re: advertising for The Archiver, I personally have no problems with people advertising it in different languages. However, I will not ask them to do, merely allow them if they have the time and desire to do so, mainly because:

1. They are GoMe translators first and foremost, and should concentrate primarily on GoMe projects.

2. We don't produce anything in languages other than English. We used to, but the reality is that translating a 30+ page magazine is hard going, and is also a rather thankless job, so getting any consistent translation effort going is difficult. I would really only push for advertising in other languages if our productions were also translated themselves, which would put too much burden on those translators we already have.

So basically, if you have the time, and you want to do some affiliate advertising on the side, go for it, but not at the cost of GoMe affairs.

Nanouk_Metal
Desconectado/a
Narym wrote:

So basically, if you have the time, and you want to do some affiliate advertising on the side, go for it, but not at the cost of GoMe affairs.

I agree with Narym. The GoMe should be our first and only priority.
(at least, until we learn more about Rand's views)

Lynnutte
Desconectado/a

I agree with Narym and Nanouk.

Marten
Imagen de Marten
Desconectado/a

I agree with the above, too.

I'd like to suggest that if the GoMe does enlist translators to produce foreign language versions of the Newsletter, that we put a formal cap on the size of the newsletter. Something like "5-6 pages maximum." This way, we don't end up with a gradually larger and larger newsletter, putting increasing levels of stress on everyone.

Now that I think about it some more as I write this, it might not be a bad idea even without translators. 8)

Szark
Imagen de Szark
Desconectado/a
Quote:
I agree with Narym. The GoMe should be our first and only priority.

Sorry but I disagree with that for obvious reasons. That maybe true for you Nanouk but I do more work for them than I do here. What makes me laugh is that I was sent from here to the Archiver by Shimmer, to help out. So we recruit for all but you want GoMe to be a priority. hmmmm

Quote:
I will not ask them to do, merely allow them if they have the time and desire to do so,

Well I did but I did say if you had the time. I thought I worded my letters to all 5 international Mods, on veralun advice, quite well. Not too pushy, which left it open for their own choice.

Quote:
1. They are GoMe translators first and foremost, and should concentrate primarily on GoMe projects.

But hey who am I to argue if that's how the powers at be want it then I shall conform. Even though I disagree with you all. I have been out voted and told.
In no way was I suggesting that we ask anybody to translate the Archiver, now that would be out right checky

Quote:

I will remember this when you are hounding me to reach Archiver deadlines. :D

Lessons learnt. I will make sure to keep things seperate. Totally separate infact. I will stop looking for translators and asking Leonardo and Gdabji to do the Archiver annoucements. That way everyones happy.
Ok that puts an end to this can we now move on.......
Capping the newsletter at a certain number of pages is a very good idea.

Szark

Gbadji
Desconectado/a
se unió: Jun 19 2008
Narym wrote:
Blutec uses Microsoft Publisher. The translators would almost certainly need to have this software in order to 'translate', ...

Well, I'm working on Mac OS not on Windows and I use Pages as Document Editor. I can export text in PDF, Word and RTF. If it's a problem, I can see to use OpenOffice but I think exported formats will be the same.

Marten wrote:
Something like "5-6 pages maximum."

I agree :). That will be my firsts translations and some pages for the newsletter or small texts for the announcements will be reasonable to do a good work. When I will be came an expert I could change my mind.

See you soon.

Nothing to do except a dream, see you soon in the City.